Advent Calendar

Monday, December 2, 2013

Last year Emily from A Denver Home Companion posted a tutorial for a DIY Advent Calendar. Instead of the usual chocolate that Aussies receive during advent, this calendar had family activities. A little something the family could to together each day. I decided that this was a tradition that I wanted our little family to take on each year.
 photo Advent-1_zpsd0ef73c4.jpg
What I wasn't sure about was what form the advent calendar would take. We don't have much room in our house and while I liked box calendars like this one on Hey Look and envelope calendars like this one on Home Life, I had no idea where they would go in our house. Just when I had given up on the idea of even having an advent calendar as we may not even be in town for December, I saw an Advent in a Jar by Poppytalk on Pinterest. I simplified it a little bit, cutting up an old piece of brown paper and sticking christmas washi tape on one side along with the number, then writing the activity on the other. Around the top of the jar I wrapped some red and white cord, the kind found at your local hardware store (FYI - you can get a lot of other ropes, cord & such things at your local hardware store by the metre) and it was complete. Advent sorted.
 photo Advent-2_zps77ca14fc.jpg
Here are our list of activities, heavily inspired by Emily's lists.
1. Decorate
2. Declutter for Christmas
3. Have a candle lit dinner
4. Make present tags
8. Bake Christmas Cookies
9. Purchase a gift for a family in need
10. Go for an early morning walk
11. Go through toys to give to a charity
12. Have a lounge room dance party
13. Go to the Christmas night markets and Tree lighting
14. Make gingerbread cookies
15. Have a sweet treat for breakfast
16. Make a Christmas painting
17. Watch a Charlie Brown Christmas
18. Go for a night swim
19. Go for a drive to see the Christmas lights
23. Watch A Muppets Christmas Carol
24. Watch Christmas Eve on Sesame Street

You may notice that some dates are missing. I haven't included activities for dates which I know we would be unable to partake in an activity.  Also the list may be a little heavy with watching things, but I do love Christmas movies. Do you have an Advent Calendar? I'd love to see it if you do. Please leave a link you your calendar in the comments below. 

2 comments :

  1. This is actually the BEST idea! So much more memorable then a piece of choccie every day. And so simple to make. Love it!!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! and i love how you kept it small and simple. i even swapped out one of my ideas for your dance party idea. we're going to put on those christmas albums and rock! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you
Alli xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...