Herb Garden Update

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Photobucket



Remember how we planted a herb garden at the beginning of September? Well had I shown you photos of it a few weeks ago it would have looked full of luscious looking herbs, but I waited too long. We've had quite a few days of over 38 degrees and the coriander (cilantro) went to seed. To add insult to injury a small bug or grasshopper has eaten the rest of the coriander and the mint AND the basil. The bug must not like the parsley or the spring onion as they remain untouched. The bug must not like the parsley or the spring onion as they remain untouched.
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Have you had this happen in your garden? What did you do to stop it? I've rigged up a possible solution of a fly net and sticks. Hopefully it keeps the bugs away. I'll keep you posted.

Photobucket

3 comments :

  1. The only herb I have successfully grown is Basil, it likes alot of water & to be cut by scissors by the bunch rather than leaf by leaf...I also lost a batch of mint recently - very sad & not sure why? The only other thing I know for sure about home grown food is tomato plants don't like to be wet on their leaves, just their root base. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! We have three tomato plants too so shall water from the root from now on. The mint is coming back, the basil not so much. I shall water it a bit more then, maybe early morning & night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this definitely depends on temperature changes. Certain herbs strive in my garden while others wilt and die off quickly. As far as pests go, I plant marigolds nearby and that definitely seemed to help a bit. Oh, and make sure your herbs don't start to flower. Pick those off. That seems to help also.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...