Significance

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I came across this quote today while researching another project:

‘man [woman] is an animal suspended in webs of significance he [she] has spun’ Clifford Geertz

A friend recently commented about being sick of reading narcissistic blogs, but I guess, when it comes down to it, narcissism is the essence of blogs. We blog to tell others about ourselves and bring our 'wisdom' to other people. It's incredibly self serving and narcissistic. I started this blog to practice writing and tell others about life in the Territory. I think the blog could give more on the latter. Hopefully some of you find what I have to say interesting, but at the end of the day it is what it is, narcissism.

*Please read the comments, Sarah and Vintage Fabric Addict both have excellent things to say on this

3 comments :

  1. Some people think blogging is a self focused modern pass time but it's simply an extension of the old fashioned letter. My mum migrated from England and the correspondence about general every day life in both country's were passed around between family and friends and the local post office lady on both sides. The only difference really is the speed and enormous potential it has for meeting new people.
    And thanks for the comment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I was logged in as my husband now you can meet two new people

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes i like what Glenn and Sarah have to say :). I'd not thought of it that way. I blog because I like to write, sadly my writing is not good, but I still enjoy it. I also use it to promote my store but I'm shy about telling my customers I blog, so that's a bit weird.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you
Alli xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...