Chick-lit surprise

Monday, September 28, 2009

I was recently in Melbourne and had the chance on Saturday to pop into Borders for a quick look/see. I was after any novels by Caprice Crane, but they don’t seem to stock them. I did discover however that low and behold, the daughter of my favourite crime writer, Kathy Reichs, is writing chick lit. How exciting! I snapped up Kerry Reichs’ first novel, The Best Day of Someone Else’s Life, and preceded to devour it on the plane flight home. The book is about a girl, Vi, in her late 20s who finds herself attending 11 weddings (and being in 3) in a year. From what I have read thus far, Vi is also coming to terms with the changing nature of her childhood friendships, finding that she doesn’t quite fit in back home and coming to the realisation that her life is somewhere else.

Just before I finished my honours year I accepted a job as an Anthropologist in Alice Springs and moved there from Adelaide a month after handing in my thesis. Aside from facebook, there are only a few friends from my childhood that I catch up with face to face. Those that I do catch up with lead completely different lives to me, having married earlier and started families. I’d like to think that we’d still be really close had I not moved away, but I never would have been able to stay in Adelaide. By the end of uni I was craving a change and Alice Springs was certainly it. I’ve been lucky to meet many wonderful new friends in Alice Springs and Melbourne who have, over the years, become old friends. My life is definitely somewhere other than Adelaide now. Vi's journey reminds me of my own - very lucky that I have both childhood friends and new friends to help me through this wonderful life.

2 comments :

  1. I love love love Caprice Crane! And I didn't realize that Kerry Reichs was writing chick lit! I'll definitely be picking up one of her books soon : )

    Speaking of good reads! I think you would love a book I wrote called 'Knickles and Dimes'. It's a really fun read, with laugh-out-loud characters and a great story. I hope you'll check it out!

    http://www.eloquentbooks.com/KnicklesAndDimes.html

    Thanks for the review!

    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, you wrote a book?! I am in awe of anyone who has. So much time, effort and ideas go into writing books. I will definitely check it out xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...