Sunday Street Art #1

Monday, July 6, 2009

I have a fascination with all things street art. There’s something about the danger and the publicness of the art that I admire. My fascination most probably steams from my desire to be an artist when I know full well that my artistic talents are quite limited.

Over the years we lived in Melbourne I spent a number of weekends wandering the streets taking pictures of street art. Each week I’ll post a photo or two I’ve taken of inspiring, intriguing, remarkable street art from Melbourne. The photos reflect a moment in time. If you were to visit these streets today they wouldn't be the same. This work would be gone and another would stand in its place. This photo was taken sometime in February ‘07 in a laneway that runs parallel to Brunswick Street, behind Polyester Records. I love the way each different piece compliments and contrasts against the others. Each time you look you see more.

If possible I’ll cite the artist and if haven’t cited the artist and you know who it is, please let me know.

2 comments :

  1. Have you read 'Australian Grafitti'? It's a bit dated now, but it's a cultural history of graffiti written in the 1970s and updated several times since.

    Let me know if you'd like to see it. I've got a copy at home.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...